Year 9 Overview
Students study all programmes mentioned below in a broad-balanced course designed as a comprehensive introduction to the first year of secondary education and which fully acknowledges national curriculum and special character obligations.
The curriculum supports and empowers all students to learn and achieve personal excellence. In the wider curriculum students continue to partake fully in at least one chosen sport, cultural activity and a service event through Club Garin Inc. The Journey Programme offers students an opportunity to grow spiritually in a challenging, outdoor setting.
Our programme is designed to encourage our students to become confident, connected, actively involved, lifelong learners.
In Year 9, students study the following:
- Religious Studies
- Technology (Digital Technology/Food Processing/Materials and Design Technology/Fashion and Design Technology)
- Social Studies
- Physical Education/Health
- Arts (two courses selected from Music/Dance Drama/Art)
- Languages (Māori, Spanish or English Language Learning for selected International students)
- Club Garin Activities (Sport/Arts/Service)
- The Journey Programme
- House competitions
- Special calendared events—Mahi Toi, Graduation Challenge
As students do all programmes, course selections and guidance are not necessary at this level.